Art Direction - Individual project progression

23/04/26 - 15/10/26 (Week 1-Week 4)

Chika Clarissa Widjaja / 0378636

Character Design/ Bachelors Of Design (Creative Media) / Taylor's University

Art Direction - Individual project progression


TABLE OF CONTENTS

  • INSTRUCTIONS
  • TASK
  • FEEDBACK
  • REFLECTION


INSTRUCTIONS

 


TASK

 Progression 

Week 01 - Task Arrangement
On week 1, we decide on a leader who is Jayson, and discussed our ideas together.



Week 02-03 - ideation and Game Research

For my research, I downloaded the game minion rush and subway surfers to analyse and take notes on each runner game for me to apply in our game later on. I took screenshots , and noticed a lot of their obstacles, game mechanics, characters, lighting, etc.

Game Research PDF link: https://canva.link/9f8vzbfxbk4gy8h


Week 04 - Game Visual Analysis

Canva Link:

This assignment helped us to have a clear vision and art direction for our game. We set the style, and realism factor early on and overall mood of our game.



Week 05 - Proposal, Brainstorming

Jayson pitched the idea on making the Subway Surfer game to be set in a War trenches where he is hallucinating the monster chasing him.

You can see the full Initial Proposal here since the pdf isnt working when uploaded here: 




Week 07-08 - Proposal Submission
 
Proposal Link:
https://canva.link/jt9u059dqjqp6nd

In this task, I was in charged with the environment. I made some rough sketches exploration to get the overall look. I haven't explored the obstacles here yet, as I was trying to set the environment first.



Week 9-12 - Progression
 

After getting feedback and discussions with our team, I start working on the environment art and homepage. This is my initial progress for the in game environment:

After showing it to our lecturer, he told us that its too dark, and the obstacle need to be shown more. 


I refined the sketch as requested, here is the screenshot of my progress. 


I also added values to the scene and made it more realistic, rather than a vector art. Finally, I added a subtle de saturated blue on my scene.







For the homepage, I made an idea of it starting inside a bunker/dug hole, where the character will start by crouching down closing his ears together trying to avoid his hallucinations, and when the players press play, the monster will appear and the character will start to run outside, where the game will start.


At first, I wanted to make it in the middle like this. However, after discussing with Brendan who is in charge of the UI, we decided it was better for the opening to be on the left so the ui had space.




I made the ground floor with a palette knife from photoshop to have the ground effect and control over the painting, and made sure to add highlights in the environment to emphasize and create depth. In addition, I used the soft light brush to lightly brighten the sky and reflections that are coming inside the room from outside. Finally, I added a blue coloring on top of the environment using overlay.



However, the blue was too saturated and didn't match the in game environment that I did, so I lowered down the saturation.




Breakdown

  • Jump over, roll avoid: Barb Wires
  • Power ups: Adrenaline (use to run faster), Morphine (use to heal)
  • Avoid: Cannon
  • Ammo Box: Reload ammo








Week 13-14 - Mockup and Slide Preparation


Mockup:

Homepage


In Game 


In Game (Very Low Sanity)






Final Presentation Slides: https://canva.link/c6rs0x8w040uuvh







REFLECTION

Comments

Popular Posts